Chandler, Arizona is ranked best city by SmartAsset to buy a home big enough to raise a family. Gilbert ranked third and Scottsdale came in at number eight. The three cities also recently ranked in top 10 of most prosperous U.S. cities.
Kevin Hartke, vice mayor of Chandler, says his city has more than large homes, including a top school district and a strong job market.
SmartAsset, which specializes in offering financial advice, analyzed data from the 2011 and 2015 Census Bureau 1-Year American Community Surveys. The analysis looked at six factors, including:
- five-year change in median home values.
- five-year change in median rent costs.
- average effective property tax rate.
- percent of homes with at least two bedrooms.
- median housing cost as a percent of median income.
- percent of homeowners who are housing cost-burdened
Chandler’s median home value increased by 45 percent from 2011 to 2015 and over 91 percent of homes have at least two bedrooms, according to the analysis.