The Phoenician is under a massive renovation and has plans to downsize its golf course from 27 holes to 18 holes. Starting in January 2018, a 10 month redesign will take place downsizing the course. Phil Smith, who has renovated the TPC Scottsdale and the Desert Mountain Apache and Chiricahua courses in Scottsdale, is the architect. The Phoenician will also be adding a two-story athletic club near the main drive on the west side and is expected to open in March 2018.
The new athletic club will include the following:
- A Tennis Center with seven tennis courts, two pickleball courts and one basketball court
- A 2,100-plus square-foot activity center with arcade, TV gaming zone, board games, shuffleboard and movie screening area, among other recreational offerings
- A retail shop
- A refreshment area, serving grab-n-go items
The second level will consist of:
- A 4,600-plus square-foot fitness center with Matrix workout equipment and a movement studio with “fitness on demand” technology, providing access to hundreds of virtual classes via touch screen, from yoga to spin
- Floor-to-ceiling windows, offering views of Camelback Mountain and the resort
The resort is also opening a new restaurant called Mowry & Cotton.